Our team of board-certified music therapists offer individual and group music therapy services to children and adults with a variety of diagnosis and at different stages of life. Music therapy services are offered at our studios, as well as in schools, residential facilities, day habilitation programs, hospitals, and more. Learn more below and contact us today to discuss your particular needs.
What is Music Therapy
Music therapy is the clinical use of music and musical interventions by a board-certified music therapist to help clients improve their cognitive, physical, social, or emotional well-being within a therapeutic context. In addition to being strong musicians, music therapists need to have a deep understanding of development, counseling techniques, psychology, disabilities and medical diagnosis.
Our team of music therapists works with clients, their family members, health aids, and/or treatment team to determine how music therapy may be most effective in strengthening the client’s skills, development and quality of life. Music and music interventions are chosen based on the interests and unique needs of each individual client we serve. The music therapy treatment plan will be determined following an intake/assessment.
Who is Music Therapy for?
Research has shown that many people (young and old) can benefit from music therapy in a variety of ways. Therefore, music therapists generally specialize in working with certain populations. When searching for a music therapist, it is important that you find someone who meets your specific needs, just as you would when looking for any other healthcare professional or therapist. Below is a list of some diagnosis/populations and organizations/facilities that we work at (in addition to services at our studio). Please note, this is not an exhaustive list of who we serve or where we offer services. Contact us directly to discuss your particular needs.
Who We Serve
- Intellectual, Developmental, Learning Disabilities
- Anxiety Disorders and ADD/ADHD
- Memory Loss
- Pediatric/Adult Cancer Patients and other medical diagnosis (typically seen in-home or as outpatient service)
- Pediatric/Adult Hospice
- Perinatal (Prenatal, Labor/Delivery, Postnatal support)
- NICU infants and their family
Where We Work
- Our center in Rockland, MA
- South Shore Perinatal Wellness Center
- Early Intervention Centers
- Adult Day Habilitation and Day Care
- Nursing/Rehab. Facilities
- Schools (Public and Private)
- Preschools and Childcare Facilities
- Hospitals/Medical Practices
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Centers
- Human Services Organizations
- Town Recreation Departments
- Town Council on Aging
- Community Groups (Girl/Boy Scouts, home-school co-ops, libraries, etc.)
- Mental Health Agencies
Sample Music Therapy Goals
These are a broad overview of areas music therapy can address. Specific goals will be chosen following the intake/assessment process.
- Increase attention span/concentration skill
- Improve self image and body awareness
- Increase/maintain cognitive skills
- Improve fine/gross motor skills
- Increase self esteem
- Improve communication skills
- Increase interaction with peers, interpersonal contact, and socialization
- Stimulate creativity and critical thinking
- Develop strategies for dealing with stress
- Increase tolerance of instruction
- Develop skills in dealing with emotions
- Increase awareness, acceptance, and responsibility to others’ feelings
- Cope with a medical diagnosis of yourself or a loved one
- Improve oxygen saturation levels, respiratory rates, and blood pressure
- Manage pain with little to no use of pain medications or medical interventions
- Manage symptoms of anxiety
Sample Music Therapy Interventions
Interventions are chosen based on the therapeutic goals of each client. No prior music experience is necessary to benefit from and take part in music therapy services.
- Lyric analysis
- Life Reflection through music
- Improvisation (vocal and instrumental)
- Music and imagery
- Movement and Music
- Active Listening
- Music and relaxation
- Learning through music