Our team of board-certified music therapists provide individual and group music therapy services to children and adults with a variety of diagnosis and at different stages of life. Music therapy services are offered through telehealth and in-person. We provide services at out center in Rockland, MA, as well as in schools, residential facilities, day habilitation programs, hospitals, and community sites throughout the South Shore and Southeastern, MA.
Learn More About
- Individual & Group Music Therapy at our center (children, teens, adults)
- Community Partnerships (bring our services to your school, day hab, community health organization, eldercare facility)
What is Music Therapy?
Music therapy is the clinical use of music and musical interventions by a board-certified music therapist to help clients improve their cognitive, physical, social, or emotional well-being within a therapeutic context. In addition to being strong musicians, music therapists need to have a deep understanding of development, counseling techniques, psychology, disabilities and medical diagnosis.
Our team of music therapists works with clients, their family members, health aids, and/or treatment team to determine how music therapy may be most effective in strengthening the client’s skills, development and quality of life. Music and music interventions are chosen based on the interests and unique needs of each individual client we serve. The music therapy service plan will be developed following an intake/assessment.
Who is Music Therapy for?
Research has shown that many people (young and old) can benefit from music therapy in a variety of ways. Therefore, music therapists generally specialize in working with certain populations. When searching for a music therapist, it is important that you find someone who meets your specific needs, just as you would when looking for any other healthcare professional or therapist. Below is a list of some diagnosis/populations and organizations/facilities that we work at (in addition to services at our center). Please note, this is not an exhaustive list of who we serve or where we offer services. Contact us directly to discuss your particular needs.
Who We Serve
- Intellectual, Developmental, Learning Disabilities
- Anxiety Disorders and ADD/ADHD
- Mental Health (supporting social/emotional needs)
- Memory Loss &Eldercare
- Pediatric/Adult Cancer Patients and other medical diagnosis (typically seen in-home or as outpatient service)
- Pediatric/Adult Hospice
- Perinatal (Prenatal, Labor/Delivery, Postnatal support)
- NICU infants and their family
- Early Intervention Services
Where We Work
- Our center in Rockland, MA
- South Shore Perinatal Wellness Center
- Early Intervention Centers
- Adult Day Habilitation and Day Care
- Nursing/Rehab. Facilities
- Schools (Public and Private)
- Preschools and Childcare Facilities
- Hospitals/Medical Practices
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) Centers
- Human Services Organizations
- Town Recreation Departments
- Town Council on Aging
- Community Groups (Girl/Boy Scouts, home-school co-ops, libraries, etc.)
- Mental Health Agencies
Sample Music Therapy Goals
These are a broad overview of areas music therapy can address. Specific goals will be chosen following the intake/assessment process.
- Increase attention span/concentration skill
- Improve emotional regulation
- Increase/maintain cognitive skills
- Improve fine/gross motor skills
- Increase self esteem
- Improve communication skills
- Increase interaction with peers, interpersonal contact, and socialization
- Stimulate creativity and critical thinking
- Develop strategies for dealing with stress
- Increase tolerance of instruction
- Develop skills in dealing with emotions
- Increase awareness, acceptance, and responsibility to others’ feelings
- Cope with a medical diagnosis of yourself or a loved one
- Improve oxygen saturation levels, respiratory rates, and blood pressure
- Manage pain with little to no use of pain medications or medical interventions
- Manage symptoms of anxiety
Sample Music Therapy Interventions
Interventions are chosen based on the therapeutic goals of each client. No prior music experience is necessary to benefit from and take part in music therapy services.
- Lyric analysis
- Life Reflection through music
- Improvisation (vocal and instrumental)
- Music and imagery
- Movement and Music
- Active Listening
- Music and relaxation
- Learning through music